Read the Pesticide’s Label!
By Chris Williams on December 20, 2011.
Using a pesticide is a responsibility. A pesticide is a poison that can kill living things and its use is not to be taken lightly. A pesticide’s label contains a wealth of information about the pesticide. The label’s purpose is to make sure that you use the product safely.
Read the label before selecting a pesticide
· Make sure it is registered for your intended use, for example, on vegetable plants
· Review the environmental precautions and restrictions
· Make sure you have the required application equipment, like a granule spreader
· Make sure you have the required personal protective equipment, like plastic gloves
Reread the label before mixing the pesticide, if mixing is needed
· Make sure you understand how to properly mix the product
· Make sure you are wearing the personal protective equipment, such as plastic gloves, required for mixing the product
· Know what first aid and medical treatment is necessary should poisoning or an accident occur
Reread the label when storing pesticides
· Make sure you know how to store the pesticide properly
· Understand the precautions to prevent fire hazards
· Know what to do if the product spills
Reread the label before disposing of a pesticide
· Make sure you know the correct procedure for rinsing or emptying the container
· Know the manufacturer’s recommendations for disposing of the empty container