Is Your Home Poison-proof?

By Chris Williams on September 5, 2013.

Poison items in homePesticides are not the only poisonous products in your home. You probably have many hazardous chemicals in your home and don’t even realize it. Some are in products you use routinely—drain cleaners, oven cleaners, antibacterial soaps, even bleach. Just because the products are for household use and you can buy them in a store doesn’t mean they can’t harm you or your family.

Children especially are at risk from hazardous household chemicals. Over 60% of poisonings involve children under 6 years of age. Take the time to poison-proof your kitchen and home.

Ask yourself these important questions:

1. Have all potentially harmful products been put up high and out of the reach of children?

The best way to prevent poisoning is to make sure that children can’t get at poisons.

2. Are harmful products stored away from food?

If a poisonous substance is placed next to food, someone may get them mixed up and accidentally swallow poison.

3. Are all potentially harmful products in their original containers?

Labels on containers often give important first aid and safety information. Never store a poison or a cleaning product in a household container, like a plastic soda bottle or glass jar. It may be mistaken for food.

4. Do all harmful products in your home’s cabinets have child-resistant packaging?

Products like mouse bait, drain cleaners, and oven cleaners should have safety packaging to keep little children from opening the containers.

5. Is your garage, workshop, or shed poison-proof, too?

Most products found in garages and similar places are poisons if swallowed. Everyday substances such as lighter fluid, paint and paint thinner, fertilizer, antifreeze, and turpentine can cause violent and sometimes deadly symptoms. Make sure that these products are locked up or placed out of a child’s reach and have child-proof caps.



We’re not satisfied until you are. Learn More